At Wey Valley Academy we are dedicated to promoting the British Values which will ensure that our students develop a strong sense of social and moral responsibility. We prepare our students for a life in Modern Britain by developing an understanding of democracy, the rule of law, individual liberty and mutual respect and tolerance of those with different faiths and beliefs.
These British Values underpin the work we do and are promoted at various times throughout the school year, extending beyond the classroom.
DEMOCRACY, We encourage students to engage positively with the democratic process.
- Assembly programme
- History lessons
- Student stakeholder subject surveys
- Tutor elections for School Council representatives
- Year group and whole School Council meetings
- Year group and teacher elections for Head Student Leaders
- Engagement and voting for local representatives for Youth Parliament
THE RULE OF LAW, We ensure that students understand and engage positively with the Rule of Law.
- Reward and Behaviour Policy
- Rewards for positive behaviour and good citizenship including achievement points, certificates, positive conduct cards, achievement assemblies, end of year rewards trips
- Annual presentation assemblies
- PSHE lessons
- Police Cadets (The only Police Cadet Force in South Dorset)
- Anti-Bullying Ambassadors
INDIVIDUAL LIBERTY, We encourage students to develop self-confidence and self-awareness.
- Fully inclusive curriculum and access to all lessons.
- School Council
- PSHE lessons and coverage of the Equalities Act
- Freedom to choose new activities via extra-curricular clubs and Enrichment time for Years 7 and 8.
- Alumni board to inspire students to what they can achieve.
- Positive conduct cards rewarding good role models.
MUTUAL REPEST AND TOLERANCE FOR THOSE WITH DIFFERENT FAITHS AND BELIEFS, We celebrate diversity and develop the mutual respect and tolerance of those with different faiths and beliefs.
- Philosophy and Ethics lessons educating about differing beliefs and cultures
- PSHE Lessons – relationships, identity, celebrating difference.
- Art and Performing Art lessons exploring and appreciating artists, dance styles and music from different cultural influences.
- Mutual respect for all in all lessons (Ready Respect Safe)